Thursday 7 February 2008

A Lenten Time

My piece in the Chinese New Year concert on Monday went reasonably well, or at least, as well as could be expected. Having finished off that piece, I've been relaxing slightly - obviously a mistake, for I found out yesterday that a singer I'm accompanying in a Lieder Prize has prelims next week, for which we have to do two songs... and a large amount of 'stuff' is piling up in the beginning of March. Having realised this today, I decided to get in some practise, but didn't do very well, which was disappointing.

Yesterday I sung in an Ash Wednesday service. I was in a relatively somber mood, and felt encouraged to think what I might give up for lent. I don't usually eat much in the way of chocolate, but I do enjoy baking (anything from biscuits to cakes), so that is certainly a possibility.
A while ago I heard something which made me think. Why not take something up for lent? A duty, perhaps something that would help someone else. I suppose you could think of it as giving up your time, which is a very valuable gift.

No comments: